+++ MATRIX +++
Source 1: SBD
SBD -> Dat (48k)
Dat (Sony D8) -> Samplitude Professional v7.02 -> FLAC
All Transfers and Mastering By Charlie Miller
October 14, 2006
Source 2: AUD
Source: Schoeps (unknown model/ps) > D7 @48k
Transfer: 48k DAT clone> Sony PCM-R300 > Monster SPDIF digital cable > RMEdigi96/8PAD > SoundForge 6.0 (rec, 48>44 with anti-alias filter) > CDWav (splits) > mkw > shn (seekable)
SHNtool used verify track boundaries prior to wav > shn
Transfered by Marc Pujol 9/25/2002
Source DAT from Dave Minor via Matt Vernon
Source 3: AUD
Source: A: NeumannShotguns>DAT
Transfer: DAT>ZA2 (S/PIDF)>Samplitude 2496>CD-r (or shn)
Tapes provided by Tom and Roger
Conversion by Chris Larson ([email protected]
d1t01 - Tuning
d1t02 - Touch of Grey
d1t03 - Greatest Story Ever Told
d1t04 - Tuning
d1t05 - Row Jimmy
d1t06 - New Minglewood Blues
d1t07 - Tuning
d1t08 - So Many Roads
d1t09 - Masterpiece
d1t10 - Bird Song
d2t01 - Tuning
d2t02 - China Cat Sunflower >
d2t03 - I Know You Rider
d2t04 - Samson & Delilah
d2t05 - Uncle John's Band >
d2t06 - Playin' In the Band >
d2t07 - Drums >
d3t01 - Space >
d3t02 - Attics of My Life >
d3t03 - Throwing Stones >
d3t04 - Good Lovin'
d3t05 - Crowd
d3t06 - U.S. Blues
- Thanks go to everyone who worked on and made available the sources used in this matrix. Obviously, this project would have been impossible without their prior efforts.
- Both sets are seamless.
- So Many Roads.
- I cleaned up a few imperfections in the SBD source using Izotope RX 2 Advanced.
- I lowered the gain of the Larsen source by 4dB, from the beginning of Set 1 through the opening of "Greatest Story," at which point it seems that the taper turned the input down.
- I remastered the SBD and the AUD sources individually, prior to combining them. The files were remastered and mixed in Logic Pro 9. They were split in WaveLab LE 7. SBE's were fixed using Trader's Little Helper.
- Speed correction (using Izotope Radius in Logic Pro 9):
Pujol AUD: -0.075% (speed) / -1 cent (pitch)
Larsen AUD: -0.037% (speed)
More fine-grained syncing was done manually.
- There are several spots during the show at which the SBD and the AUD sources differ in more or less dramatic ways. It seems that some processing was done to the signal coming from the SBD after it was sent to the tape but before it was sent to the speakers. These include: the exploding bass drums at the end of "Touch of Grey" and the beginning of "Greatest Story" on the AUD copies. The most significant spot occurs toward the end of "Row Jimmy": on both of the AUD sources, some sort of reverb is suddenly applied to the vocals, or perhaps the entire mix. (You can hear the crowd react to it.) This change is not on the SBD. The result, as far as this matrix goes, is that it sounds as though the SBD and one or more of the AUD sources have gone out of sync. But they have not. In other words, the matrix is in places more echo-y than I would like, but I know of no way to get rid of the problem, short of cutting the AUD sources entirely, which would obviously defeat my purpose.
- During "Throwing Stones," two seconds are missing from the Pujol source. There is no break; the source simply skips ahead two seconds. I fixed the problem.
August 11, 2013