Madison Square Garden
New York, NY
FRESH LEGS, VOL. 7 (Matrix)
Source 1: SBD (shnid=20025; patched with shnid=21241)
Lineage: Vault PCM Master->DAT
Transfer and SHN by Joe Samaritano
Source 2: AUD (shnid=105797)
Master: Nakamichi CM300's/CP4's>Marantz PMD-420>Cass(m), Nak DR-2>Tascam CDRW2000>CD Taper's section by Jon Pasternak
Extraction: CD>xACT 1.69 (cdparanoia)>WAV>FLAC, all tracks extracted with no errors
by Dave Mallick
Source 3: AUD (shnid=112782)
OTS AUD: 2x Nakamichi CM300 w/CP4 shotguns > Sony TC-D5M >
Maxell MX90's, w/no Dolby. Taped by Ted Gidley.
Transfer: MAC > Nakamichi CR-5A > Edirol FA-66 > Wavelab >
TLH > FLAC 2448 tagged. Transfer by Andrew F. 09/2011
d1t01 - "Watch Me Levitate Garcia"
d1t02 - Hell In A Bucket >
d1t03 - Sugaree >
d1t04 - Walkin' Blues
d1t05 - Candyman
d1t06 - Masterpiece
d1t07 - Bird Song
d2t01 - [crowd]
d2t02 - Shakedown Street >
d2t03 - Women Are Smarter >
d2t04 - Terrapin Station >
d2t05 - Drums >
d3t01 - Space >
d3t02 - Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad >
d3t03 - All Along the Watchtower >
d3t04 - Morning Dew >
d3t05 - Good Lovin'>
d3t06 - La Bamba >
d3t07 - Good Lovin'
d3t08 - Knockin' On Heaven's Door
- Thanks go to everyone who worked on and made available the sources used in this matrix. Obviously, this project would have been impossible without their prior efforts.
- This show is one of my personal favorites. In my opinon, it deserves to be on any shortlist of the best shows of the '80s. It's great from start to finish. The particular standouts are: Sugaree, Masterpiece (Jerry is *all over* it!), and (of course) the Morning Dew, which is one for the ages.
Other high points include Candyman, All Along the Watchtower, and Knockin' On Heaven's Door. The crowd participation during the first half of Good Lovin' is really great, too (and one of those things you won't notice with the SBD alone).
- I only retain between-song crowd-noise from AUD sources. In this case, that means that I cut from the SBD some of the crowd-noise (a) after "Walkin' Blues," (b) after "Masterpiece," and (c) before "Knockin' On the Heaven's Door."
- The SBD is missing (a) the crowd-noise at the beginning of the second set, (b) the very beginning of "Shakedown," and (c) most of "Space." I patched these from the Healy Ultrabox SBD.
- The Pasternak AUD is missing the very beginning of "Bird Song."
- The Pasternak AUD is missing about 12 seconds of "Space." The Healy Ultrabox SBD, which I used to patch the main SBD, is missing about 24 seconds of "Space." These drop-outs do not overlap: there is always at least two sources going at any given time throughout the second set.
- The sources were remastered and mixed in Logic Pro 9. Clean-up was done using iZotope RX 3 Advanced. The sets were split in WaveLab LE 7. SBE's were fixed using Trader's Little Helper.
- I speed- and pitch-corrected the AUD sources (as well as the Healy SBD) using the iZotope Radius algorithm. Fine-tune syncing was done in Logic Pro 9.
- I ran the Samaritano SBD and the Pasternak AUD through iZotope RX 3's Declip function.
- I converted the Pasternak source from 16/44.8 to 16/44.1 using iZotope RX 3.
- Some imperfections remain (mainly on the SBD), as I couldn't manage to get rid of some without a net loss in sound quality.
November 2, 2013