Madison Square Garden
New York, NY
FRESH LEGS, VOL. 8 (Matrix)
Source 1: SBD (shnid=76469)
PainoMan - April - August 2006
Original CDs provided by Jay Serafin in 2000
*Then A Miracle Happened
Source 2 (Set 1): AUD (shnid=91977)
Taper(s): David Barfield and or David Lane
Source: (OTS) Nakamichi cm 300/cp4->Sony D-5M(Dolby B)->Maxell mx90 x 2
Transfer: MAC->Nakamichi MR-1->Korg MR-1000 (1 bit/ 5.6 Mhz)->Audio Gate->16/44 wav->flac
Transferred and seeded on 5/23/2008 by: M. Watson
Source 2 (Set 2): AUD (shnid=116065)
OTS AUD: 2x Nakamichi CM300 w/CP4 shotguns > Sony TC-D5M > Maxell MX90's, w/no Dolby. Taped by Ted Gidley.
Transfer: MAC > Nakamichi CR-5A > Edirol FA-66 > Wavelab > TLH > FLAC 2448 tagged
Transfer by Andrew F. 09/2011
d1t01 - [crowd]
d1t02 - Mississippi Half-Step
d1t03 - All Over Now
d1t04 - High Time
d1t05 - [tuning]
d1t06 - Mexicali Blues >
d1t07 - Big River
d1t08 - When Push Comes to Shove
d1t09 - "We Want Phil!"
d1t10 - Box of Rain >
d1t11 - Don't Ease Me In
d2t01 - Crazy Fingers >
d2t02 - Uncle John's Band >
d2t03 - Playin' In the Band >
d2t04 - Jam >
d2t05 - Drums >
d3t01 - Space >
d3t02 - I Need a Miracle >
d3t03 - Maggie's Farm >
d3t04 - Black Peter >
d3t05 - Around & Around >
d3t06 - Turn On Your Lovelight
d3t07 - Black Muddy River
- Thanks go to everyone who worked on and made available the sources used in this matrix. Obviously, this project would have been impossible without their prior efforts.
- A night of missed cues and half-starts! Jerry tries to jump straight from "Mississippi Half-Step" to "High Time"; Bobby tries to start up "The Other One" after "Maggie's Farm," and then he tries to segue back into "Playin' in the Band" after "Black Peter."
- Q: Why do the two sets use different audience sources? A: I initially decided to use the Watson source, which I think has a nice full sound to it. I did all the prep work for the first set before discovering that the second set of the source has speed-and-pitch problems that make is less desirable than the Gidley source, which I nearly decided to use in the first place. Rather than scrapping all the work I'd done on the first set, I decided to keep it and just toss in the Gidley source for the second set. I did what I could to make the sound uniform across the sets; I think the results are pretty good.
- I used some crowd-noise from the Gidley AUD in the first set, to fill in some blanks.
- I only retain between-song crowd-noise from AUD sources. This means that some 'dead air' was cut from the SBD and some fades were added.
- Unfortunately, the SBD is riddled with problems. (1) It repeats a second or so of "High Time," which I cut. (2) There's a hum and hiss throughout, which I couldn't get rid of. It's only really noticeable between songs and on headphones, so don't worry about it too much. (3) There are various anomalies, some of which I couldn't fix. ("Box of Rain" is particularly afflicted.) I did what I could to make them as unobtrusive as possible. (4) I evened-out the levels in the second set. (5) The mix leaves something to be desired in places: Brent is too loud during "Big River"; Bobby's vocals are too loud during "Playin'"; Bobby's guitar is too loud at various places; et al. Obviously, there was little I could do about any of this.
- The sources were remastered and mixed in Logic Pro 9. Clean-up was done using iZotope RX 3 Advanced. SBE's were fixed using Trader's Little Helper.
- I speed- and pitch-corrected the SBD using the iZotope Radius algorithm. Fine-tune syncing was done in Logic Pro 9.
- I ran the SBD and the Watson AUD through iZotope RX 3's Declip function.
- I converted the Gidley source from 24/48 to 16/44.1 using iZotope RX 3.
December 6, 2013