Jerry Garcia Band
Fine Arts Center (University of Massachusetts)
Source: Naks - model and deck unknown.
Set II: MAC > C1 (Maxell type I), playback on Sony TC-KE400S (no NR) > audiophile 2496 analog in > Soundforge 7 > recorded as 24 bit / 48 KHz WAV > CDWave (tracking) > FLAC.
Taper: unknown (possibly from Boston area)
First generation cassette source for Set II
Transfer and processing by Chris Ladner.
02 Sitting In Limbo
03 Tore Up Over You
04 //Russian Lullaby
05 Harder They Come
06 Midnight Moonlight
- THIS source uses the RAW 24/48 bit wav files used to make the 2nd set of shn ID 30229
- Chris sent me a DVD with the RAW 24/48 wav files on it, that was used that to make this 24/48 flac version, August 23,2014.
- Very beginning of Russian Lullaby is cut. (not much missing)
- This sounds very good with CLASSIC renditions of "Sugaree" and "Sitting In Limbo".
Notes: from the original 16bit version = http://db.etree.org/shninfo_detail.php?shnid=30229:
The previous version of this source suffers from multiple analog generations and poor quality digital transfer. This cassette is a first gen off the mystery taper's master and had much less hiss than the previous source without the phase/tape degradation on a source I previously encoded but never really circulated because i thought it sucked. The pitch issues with the other source are not apparent on the new source either.
The following steps were done in mastering the cassette transfer to 16 bit/44.1 KHz WAV:
1. Original 24 bit WAV file was normalized to 87% RMS using Wavelab 5.
2. A 3 second section of the WAV file containing tape noise preceding the onset of musical content was "learned" using Waves X-Noise Plugin and selectively removed at a threshold of 0 dB and 63% removal. Examination of the removed content by visuasl waveform examination and listening showed smooth monotonous hiss without any fluctuation. There was no apparent coloring of the sound using these settings on 24 bit files with a definite reduction in perceived tape hiss.
3. Very minimal bass augmentation using Waves Renaissance Bass Plugin - frequency 90 HZ at a level of -16.7 dB.
4. Waves L3 Multimaximizer Plugin with flat EQ response and threshold of -2 dB/ceiling at -0.02 dB.
5. Mastering was done using the plugins in the above order with direct rendering to 16 bit/44.1 KHz using type I dither with ultra shaping.
6. File tracked using CDWave 1.9 and saved as 16 bit FLAC.
Anyone with a decent copy of the first set on cassette (or any other low gen/master cassettes of solo jerry they would like to see digitized/restored, please drop me a line.