Garcia & Grisman
San Francisco, CA
MAD (ORTF Schoeps CMC34 [cardioids]) > DATs > Wavelab 3.0 M-S
Processor @ 24 bits, dithering to 16 bits > master CD > HP 9350i
extraction using EAC > patching using Sound Forge Studio 6.0 >
tracking using CD Wave > sector boundary alignment using shntool >
.shn encoding using mkwACT. M-S processing by Dave Cohen.
EAC > SHN by Joe Jupille.
Disc One (5) 23:58
01. Jack-A-Roe [5:06] [0:27]
02. Spring in California [5:11] [0:15]
03. Grateful Dawg [3:39] [0:16]
04. Louis Collins [5:17] [1:00]
05. Off To Sea Once More// [2:44#]
(missing Friend Of The Devil)
(missing Oh The Wind And Rain)
Disc Two (12) 69:54
01. //Shady Grove [#3:29] [0:07]
02. When First Unto This Country [4:08] [0:24]
03. I'm Troubled [3:38] [1:24]
04. Sweet Sunny South (1) [3:37] [1:55]
05. The Thrill Is Gone [5:27] [0:15]
06. So What? [7:28] [0:36]
07. Sitting Here In Limbo [6:56] [1:03]
08. Old Rockin' Chair [8:07] [0:19]
09. Red Rocking Chair [3:55] [0:16]
10. Never Seen Nobody Like You [3:26] [0:04]
11. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen [8:29] [0:26]
12. Ripple [4:07] [0:07]
d1t01 Jack-A-Roe digi-flit @ 0:39
d1t05 Off to Sea Once More digi-static @ end, just before cut
d1t05 Off to Sea Once More cuts out, most missing
d2t01 Shady Grove cuts in, not much missing
(1) Garcia and Grisman on banjo
I have come across two partial copies of this show.
The first is the end of set II, consisting of
Sweet Sunny South through Ripple, with cuts at
the end of Never Seen Nobody Like You and at
the beginning of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.
It came to me as deriving from a DAT sbd master.
It sounds nice, but is a bit flat and unbalanced.
I am not even sure it is a sbd, as I can occasionally
hear mics being adjusted (though these could be
The second contains the first half of set I
(through Off to Sea Once More, which cuts out)
and all of set II (Shady Grove and Never Seen
Nobody Like you cut in). It came to me reliably
as a MAD > subsequent DAT stages > master CD (mine).
I have chosen to use the "sbd" material only for
patching the cut before Never Seen Nobody like you.
This was done using Sound Forge Studio 6.0, which
was also used to smooth the cuts out of Off to Sea
Once More and into Shady Grove. This is my first
stab at patching, so I apologize if the results
Hopefully getting this out there might bring forth
a complete copy of this wonderful show. Come out,
come out, wherever you are!