Jerry Garcia Band
Keystone Palo Alto
Palo Alto, CA
5/28/81 partial (second set?)
MSC > DAT > CD > Plexwriter PX-W4824A extraction (EAC v0.9 beta 4) > tracking (CD Wave v1.6) > sector boundary verification (shntool v1.01) > level 8 FLAC encoding (Flac Frontend v.1.7.1 etree edition).
Single Disc (5 tracks, 58:28)
01. Harder They Come [14:15] [0:43]
02. Mission in the Rain [12:01] [0:01]
03. //Let it Rock [#7:25] ->
04. Midnight Moonlight [8:50] [0:09]
05. Russian Lullaby [14:49] [0:04]
- Clean but partially oversaturated recording of some good material, including a pretty hot Let it Rock. The Jerry Site lists this as set one, but two factors lead me to suspect that it's actually mostly set two. First, the setlist looks more like a second set from this time period, with Harder They Come opener and Midnight Moonlight closer absolutely characteristic. Second, Jerry's "Thank you, see you later on" after Midnight Moonlight sounds more like a show closer than a set break announcement. I suspect the Russian Lullaby is from another show, but this is pure speculation. I can't recall it ever having been an encore, and the crowd is utterly silent before it starts, which they wouldn't likely be if this were indeed an encore.
- t03 Let it Rock cuts in, not much missing. Levels come down a little bit at about 6:30, reducing the oversaturation of the recording.
- t04 Midnight Moonlight mix shift toward R channel @ 0:51
- t05 Russian Lullaby, mix changes @ 2:12, more hiss in R channel after.
Thanks to Jim Powell for the source CDs!